Craving your favorite latte but worried about COVID and leaving the house for unnecessary trips? Well there’s no better time to become your own barista.
These delicious drinks aren’t just a coffee shop treat. You can make lattes at home that are just as good, if not better!
We’ve listed an easy recipe that will guide you on how to make lattes at home. And the best part is, this recipe does not require an expensive electric espresso machine!
What is a Latte?
Other than a delicious fall/winter beverage, a latte is one of the more favoured coffee drinks, and is made with coffee and milk. It’s similar to a cappuccino since the most important part of this hot beverage is the silky foam that sits on top.
A latte is best made with a single or (for my fellow coffee addicts out there) double shot of espresso (roughly 1/3 of the drink), heated milk and a light top layer of frothed milk. It can also be made with a regular cup of coffee.
To make your homemade latte a little sweeter, you can also add a shot of flavor, the most popular being vanilla, hazelnut, caramel and pumpkin spice.
How to Make Lattes at Home
This latte recipe serves 2.
- 2 cups of milk (any type of milk; dairy, non-dairy or plant based)
- 2-4 shots of hot brewed espresso
- 2 tablespoons of flavored syrup (if desired)
- Pinch of sugar
Products for making lattes at home
- Brew your espresso using our Stovetop Espresso Maker Guide.
- Pour milk and flavored syrup into saucepan over medium heat and let steam.
- Pour steamed milk into your metal pitcher or just leave in the saucepan and insert your electric or battery powered milk frother to whisk the steamed milk. Place the frother towards the bottom and flick the switch.
- Once espresso is brewed, pour into two mugs. While holding a spoon to prevent the frothed from being mixed, pour the steamed milk into the two mugs. Then spoon the frothed milk over the top.
- Sprinkle a pinch of sugar on top and serve.
Feeling Fancy? Want to Learn How to Make Latte Art?
Now here’s the fun part. If you really want to achieve barista status, it’s time to start practicing making latte art.
Latte art is a pattern or shape you make on the top layer of the foam, and does require a little bit of a different technique when making lattes at home. It’s all in how you combine your steamed milk.
Latte art can be a little tricky to learn which is why we’ve made a guide on How to Make Latte Art at Home. Enjoy!